How to Become Goth and Stay Yourself
Discover why you want to be Goth.If it is because you want to scare people, fit in, stand out or rebel then stop right there. If it is because you have a real interest in the culture and feel like you belong in it then feel free to continue.
Do your research.Find out more about the subculture. Once you are thoroughly educated on the Gothic subculture then you should continue to the next step.
Learn about yourself.Take a few days to learn what you like and if you see that you have nothing to do with the Gothic subculture, you might as well give up because the first role in everything is stay loyal to yourself.
Listen to some Gothic music.The main and traditional Gothic rock and deathrock style is distinctive to the trained ear. Some classics are Bauhaus, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, The Cure, The Damned, Christian Death and some consider Alien Sex Friend to be another. Then after you hear some of those artists then branch off. If you like more dark electro or industrial then maybe you should listen to some VNV Nation. If you are looking for a lighter music then maybe some Strawberry Switchblade. The point is to find you music type. Find it and love it. Remember not to limit yourself to a few genres. It's great if you're listening to Gothic rock then rap the next.
Find your Goth type.Some people feel there is a certain type for them and some people don't. Some Goth types are traditional, CyberGoth / industrial Goth, Victorian / Romantic (or sometimes referred to just Romantigoth), Geek or Nerd Goth, Vampire Goth and Fetish Goth.
Do your makeup.You can wear eyeliner applied underneath and on top of the eye for school and on the weekend eyeshadow with eyeliner applied underneath. You can search tutorials on the internet.
Read some books.Gothic literature, along with campy horror movies, spawned the Gothic subculture. You can find Gothic novels on eBay or on Amazon. Some great ones are Dracula by Bram Stoker, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley and Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë.
Knowledge and learning.It has been proven that younger Goths are more intelligent than 'normal' people since they are very open minded and are always ready to learn. Make sure you have this type of attitude because if you're in school it's not only good for you, it's good for your future and your grades.
Get creative.Goths love to read, write (stories and poetry), draw, paint and make their own clothes. Goth is art, it's about being unique and individuality.
Remember this is you.This is yourself and your lifestyle, if you're not happy then don't be like this. If you feel limited to certain things you shouldn't be in the subculture. It's not about doing certain things because it makes you 'more Goth' it's about doing it because you want to.
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Accept other people for who they are, just because they like Lady Gaga it doesn't mean they're shallow or bad people. Judge people based on personality and character, not music tastes or appearance.
- Don't just stick to black. Wear other colours such as red, dark blue, greens and purples. You can wear any colour you want.
- Don't judge people unless you want to be judged yourself.
- Turning up at school one day in complete Gothic wear will get you called a poseur. Make sure if you know this is you, fade in to it slowly.
- If you want to be a goth but go school in uniform, just don't draw attention to yourself as that is part of gothic style.
- Start off with black nail polish and greyish eye shadow, but if you want to go extreme go for some liquid eyeliner and darker/black eyeshadow. It is possible for eyeliner to damage your eyes, so don't use too much of it.
- Wear dark clothing. Goths wear dark clothing, but you don't have to wear black. Remember to be yourself while being a goth.
- If you've been dressing like that for more than a year, you'll notice how you've learned to ignore people's snickers, laughs, and comments. You'll rise above them and learn to ignore them.
- There will always be people who can't accept other people in the world. They think everyone has to dress like them otherwise they're not worthy as a person. Learn to shrug them off, they're the ones who are not needed in the world.
- Stay away from all stereotypes including worshiping the Devil, wearing black 24/7, self harming / thoughts of suicide, becoming depressed, becoming a sex addict or any other obscene act.
Video: How I Get Very Pale Skin + Skincare Routine | Black Friday
Latest Workout Trend: ZombieCardio
How to Turn Off Utilities in Case of an Emergency
The lower-body workout that will get you ready for summer
Will Coldplay Headline the Super Bowl HalftimeShow
Small Girl Problems: 20 Things You Only Know If You’re Under 5ft Tall
How to Make Hamburger Cupcakes
Anthony Vaccarello FallWinter 2015-2019 Collection – Paris Fashion Week
12 Vegan Lip Colors That Look Gorgeous on Darker SkinTones
How to Make a Puberty Kit for Your Daughter
How to Become an Insurance Broker in Illinois
How to Love and Take Good Care of Your Dog
Date: 04.12.2018, 00:29 / Views: 35254