How to Get Green out of Blonde Hair
People with blonde hair often have to deal with their hair turning green after extended periods of time at the pool. Some people's hair turns green after 2-3 days of pool activities, but everyone's hair is different. Here are several methods to remove the green from your hair and to counter the effects of the pool.
Removing Green with Vinegar and Baking Soda
Wash your hair.This should help the green color come out, or at least fade a bit. Your hair should be clean before you continue to the next steps.
Make the vinegar mixture.Mix 1/2 cup of water with 1/4 cup of vinegar in a bowl that is big enough to hold all the hair that has turned green, which is usually only the tips.
Soak your hair.In the bowl filled with the vinegar mixture, soak your hair for about two minutes.
Add baking soda.Add 2–3 tablespoons (29.6–44.4 ml) of baking soda to the water while your hair is still in the bowl. Let it fizz up and get in your hair for 2-3 minutes.
- You can also make a paste out of shampoo and baking soda and use this to wash your hair in the shower.
Dry your hair.Take your hair out and lay it on a dry towel. Pat it dry until it isn't dripping.
Rinse your hair.Rinse your hair in warm water until all the vinegar is gone.
- To make sure all the vinegar is out, put a small lock of hair in your mouth and suck on it. If you taste vinegar, rinse it more thoroughly.
Add hydrogen peroxide.If your hair is still green at this point (your hair should still be damp), put 4-5 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide in your hand and comb it through with your fingers. You can also rub the hydrogen peroxide into your strands with your hands. Do not apply it to your scalp. Let the peroxide stay in your hair until the green is out. Watch your hair to see when the green is gone and then rinse.
Check out the results.If your hair isstillgreen after using hydrogen peroxide, then you may just have to let it wear out.
Method 1 Quiz
How can you test to see if all the vinegar is out of your hair?
Removing Green with Tomato Juice
Wash your hair with shampoo.This will help lessen the green to begin with, but it is also important to proceed with clean hair.
Wash your hair with tomato juice.Take a cup of tomato juice (or tomato soup) and pour it on your head. Run your fingers through your hair to make sure the tomato juice covers your hair evenly. Let it sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can use ketchup instead of tomato juice or tomato soup. Ketchup is less runny and can be much more manageable in the cleanup process.
Rinse your hair.Rinse the tomato juice completely out of your hair.
- You can repeat washing with tomato juice and rinsing a second time if you want to be extra thorough.
Let your hair dry.Allow your hair to dry completely. You can sleep on it overnight or just wait several hours.
- Note: Do not blow dry your hair. Make sure you let it dry naturally.
Method 2 Quiz
Why might you wash with ketchup instead of tomato sauce?
Removing Green with Professional Shampoos
Purchase some professional shampoo.There are several types of commercial hair care products intended for swimmers that can help remove the green from hair when natural home remedies just won't cut it.
- Try Malibu C Swimmers shampoo and conditioner Sally Beauty's Ion Swimmer's shampoo.
- The main ingredients to look for in the shampoo you choose are aloe, Vitamin E, and EDTA (Edetic Acid).These will help condition and strengthen your hair and fight the discoloration.
Wash your hair with the professional clarifying shampoo.Follow the instructions on the bottle.
- Alternatively, you can use a leave-in pre-swim treatment for preventative measures. Try Malibu C Swimmer's Natural Wellness Treatment or H2O Pre Swim Gel. These treatments restore color, seal the hair, and help prevent future discoloration.
Rinse your hair.Rinse the special shampoo out of your hair completely.
Let your hair dry.Don't blow dry your hair; just let it dry naturally.
- Alternatively, you can get a salon treatment called aseal coat(or agloss coat) that prevents the copper in the water from attaching to the cuticles in your hair. This works best on shorter hair.
Method 3 Quiz
Why should you look for aloe and Vitamin E in your shampoo and conditioner?
Preventing Green Hair
Wet your hair.Dry hair absorbs moisture and whatever else is accompanying that moisture. Having wet hair will provide protection because your hair will already be saturated with water, so it will not absorb whatever is in the pool. Take a moment to wet your hair using water from a shower or sink before you go swimming.
Condition your hair before you go swimming.Conditioner provides a barrier between your hair and the chlorine in the pool, so it can help to prevent your hair from turning green. Before you hop into the pool, apply a layer of conditioner to protect it.
Wear a swim cap.A swim cap will cover your hair completely and prevent it from coming into contact with the chlorine in the water. Try putting on a swim cap to prevent green hair from the pool water.
Method 4 Quiz
True or False: Wetting your hair before swimming provides a barrier between your hair and the chemicals that will turn it green.
QuestionHow do you use peroxide to get green out of your blonde hair?
Licensed CosmetologistLicensed CosmetologistExpert AnswerYou just apply peroxide to clean damp hair and massage it into your strands until the green disappears.Thanks!
QuestionDo I need to cook the tomato soup before using it?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNo, you don't need to cook it first.Thanks!
QuestionWhy is it important not to blow dry my hair after using ketchup?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt is important to let your hair dry naturally because blowdrying it could cause your hair to become crunchy and/or develop a strong tomato scent.Thanks!
- Lemon juice may also help get out the green.
- Keep out of the pool while you are working on getting the green out.
- Make sure to wash your hair very well each time after swimming.
- Try not to let your hair fully dry after swimming; go straight to the showers and wash your hair.
- Kids tend to turn their hair green more than adults because they stay in the water longer. The natural methods are safe to use on children, but make sure you check the instructions on the bottle if you intend to use the commercial swimmer's shampoo on children.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Italiano: , Português: , Русский: , Español: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Français: , Nederlands: , ไทย: , Čeština: , العربية: , हिन्दी:
Video: HOW - TO: remove GREEN shade from your Blonde!
Why It Belongs On Your Bucket List
20 Must-Try Subtle Balayage Hairstyles
How to Start a Moving Company
Why Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will get married so soon
How to Beat Egg Whites
How to know youre guilty of sidebarring people
Colorful Outfits to Brighten Up the Cold Days
This Walking Dead T-Shirt Was Pulled From Stores Over Complaints Of Racism
A Pain in the Neck
How to Pull Off a Flawless Rope Braid A Tutorial
You Wont Believe What a Gym Asked This Woman to Do
Coping With Atrial Fibrillation Fears