How to Look Good when Traveling
Whenever you travel on an airplane or sit through a long car, bus, or train ride, it's easy to end up looking tired and messy. Jet lag, exhaustion, and being cramped into a small seating area can contribute to a rumpled look. However, you can be comfortable yet still stylish by choosing wrinkle-free fabrics, wearing layers, and keeping your skin moisturized. Choose simple but chic makeup and hair for traveling to look your best when you arrive. Take advantage of down time on the plane or in the car to catch up on your rest. Don’t forget to freshen up before arriving at your destination.
Dressing for Comfort and Style
Opt for wrinkle-free fabrics.Choose loose, breathable fabrics to stay comfortable all day. Knit fabrics are great for traveling, as they wear well and can also be rolled up in your luggage. Spandex blend fabrics are also wrinkle-free and will keep their shape longer than 100% cotton. Synthetic fibers are a good choice as well, especially if you choose something that wicks away moisture.
- Avoid wearing linen, as it rumples quite easily.
Pick one of your favorite outfits.Choosing one of your favorite outfits will help you feel confident when traveling. Your favorite outfit is also likely pretty comfortable, or it wouldn’t be your favorite.
- For girls, consider a maxi dress paired with a cute jacket. They’re easy to move around in and are also chic. Alternatively, opt for leggings, a long top, and a fun scarf.
- For guys, consider dark jeans and a polo shirt. That way, you’re more dressed up than you would be if you chose a t-shirt but aren’t restricted by a suit or button-down shirt. Alternatively, choose a lightweight sweater and comfortable dress pants in a neutral color, such as black or navy.
Wear layers.Layers are great for traveling, as they can be added or removed depending on the temperature of the car or plane. Layers are helpful if the temperature is significantly different between where you are traveling from and your destination. Add a scarf or sweater to your outfit and remove it if you get too warm.
- Bringing a jacket with you will keep you warm on the plane and also free up space in your luggage.
Dress up your look with accessories.Though you’ll want to choose comfortable clothes that wear well while traveling, you can still be fashion forward. Make your look a bit more bold by adding a printed scarf or fun handbag to your outfit. Layer a few necklaces to dress up your look, or add a stack of bangle bracelets. You could also add a printed headband or oversized sunglasses.
Choose comfortable shoes.Pick a pair of shoes that are comfortable and go well with your outfit. You should never wear new shoes on a trip. Break them in first to avoid blisters or other issues.
- Wear slip-on shoes or shoes you can take off easily. This is especially true if you are flying to your destination, as you may have to take your shoes off in the airport for security reasons.
- Wear socks so your feet don't get cold. Choose socks that wick away moisture, such as those made from bamboo.
Choosing the Best Makeup and Hairstyle
Moisturize your skin.No matter what climates you are coming from or traveling to, moisturizing your skin will help keep it healthy and looking great. Put lotion on your body as well as a moisturizer with an SPF on your face.
- Slather hand cream over your hands while traveling. Use one with a scent you enjoy, as the familiarity will help you relax.
Pick a comfortable hair style.Some people prefer to wear their hair up, while others like it down. Choose what you enjoy the most, but keep it simple; don’t spend hours creating curls that are only going to be limp or crumpled by the time you arrive. To get hair off your face, a braid is a simple but stylish choice.
- If you’re traveling to a humid region, apply anti-frizz serum to your hair before styling it.
Keep your makeup simple.Many travelers opt to not wear makeup, as there’s no need for a full-on glam look while traveling. If you dread skipping your makeup routine, be sure to use a primer under your foundation to keep your makeup from sliding off. Choose a neutral eyeshadow, add liner if desired, and finish with a few swipes of mascara. Opt for a bold lip color if you want something a bit more dramatic.
- Keep blotting paper in your purse or carry-on for reducing oil and shine.
- Don’t forget lip balm to keep your smile shiny and smooth.
Taking Advantage of Down Time
Sleep on the plane or in the car.A little sleep along the way can do wonders for how you look and feel at the other end. Do your best to include some snooze while you're traveling, or take the time to rest. If you find you can’t sleep, put an eye mask on and meditate or simply relax.
Stay hydrated.It’s important to stay hydrated when traveling, especially if you are on a plane. Drink at least one glass of water per hour to help you feel better and look more refreshed. Add mint or fruit to your water for flavor if you desire.
- Limit your alcohol when traveling. Stick to one drink, such as a glass of wine.
Eat a healthy meal or snack.It’s often easier to grab fast food while traveling or to pack your carry-on with junk food. Neither of these things will help you look or feel your best though, so avoid the temptation. Instead, prepare a healthy meal or snack for the trip. Consider:
- Sandwiches or wraps with your favorite filling
- Fruit that travels well, such as apples, oranges, and bananas
- Nuts and seeds or trail mix
- A small salad in a container
- Carrot and celery sticks
Freshen up before you arrive.Brush your teeth, chew mint gum, or pop a breath mint to freshen your breath. You can also reapply deodorant and spritz yourself with perfume or cologne.
- Carry a small spray bottle filled with water and a couple of drops of lavender oil. Spritz it onto your face to freshen skin.
QuestionDo planes have WiFi and places to charge devices?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSome planes do, and some don't. It would be best to check with the airline before you book.Thanks!
QuestionIs drinking water good for milk fair skin?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerWater is good for skin of any type. Proper hydration along with regular cleansing, moisturizing and sunblock will help you keep your skin soft and beautiful.Thanks!
- Avoid additional stress when traveling by ensuring you are prepared and have everything you need.
- Get lots of rest the night before traveling. This will help you look and feel your best.
- Do your hair in the best style you can or at least a comfortable style. Don't care what other people say just be yourself, like it says on tip number one.
- Be aware of other people: make sure you're not invading others' personal space.
- Don't wear tight or uncomfortable clothing like skinny jeans or miniskirts. You may want to look good, but comfort is key for a long trip.
Sources and Citations
Categories: | |
In other languages:
Español: , Português: , Italiano: , Русский: , Deutsch: , Bahasa Indonesia: , Français: , 日本語: , ไทย: , Nederlands: , العربية: , Tiếng Việt: , 한국어: , 中文: , हिन्दी:
Video: Travel Hair, Make-up, Outfits + How to Pack!
The reason guys hate being called skinny
The Best Foods For Your Brain
Highlights of Paris Haute Couture Fashion Week
8 Fresh Rustic Wedding Decor Ideas
Usertalk: Teresa Miers Whaley
Breast Cancer at 23
20 New Outfit Ideas to Liven Up Any Wardrobe
Zach Bunsa, 23, drowns at bachelor party while trying to stay underwater longer than friends
We Did It: Skybody Fitness
How to Induce a Fever
Shared Parental Leave Only One In Four Men Vote Yes
Phobias are irrational and specific