Why choose wikiHow?
When you see the green checkmark on a wikiHow article, you know that the article has received careful review. In this case, we tested the instructions on our own devices and confirmed that the instructions worked.
How to See if Someone Read Your Text on iPhone or iPad
This wikiHow teaches you how to see if someone read your text message using iMessage, WhatsApp, and Facebook Messenger.
Make sure the person you’re texting is also using iMessages.This is the only way you'll know if they've read your message.
- If your outgoing messages are blue, the person can receive iMessages.
- If outgoing messages are green, the person is using a non-iMessage phone or tablet (usually an Android). You won't be able to see when this person has read your messages.
Turn on read receipts.As long as you and your contact both have enabled this feature, you’ll be able to see when you’ve read each others’ messages. If only you have it on, they'll see when you read their messages, but you won't know when they read yours. Here’s how to turn on read receipts:
- Open your iPhone’sSettings.
- Scroll down and tapMessages.
- Slide the “Send Read Receipts” switch to the On (green) position.
Connect to the internet.iMessages are sent over the internet, so make sure you’re connected to Wi-Fi or your mobile network. If you’re not online, your message will be sent as a regular SMS and you won’t know when it’s been read.
Open Messages.It’s a green and white chat bubble icon typically at the bottom of the home screen.
Write or reply to a message.Make sure you see “iMessage” in the typing area. This means you’re connected to the internet and the person you’re writing can receive iMessages.
Send the message.When you send an iMessage, you’ll see the word “Delivered” below when the message has been sent.
Wait for a read receipt.If the recipient has read receipts on, you’ll see “Read” below the message.
Open WhatsApp on your iPhone or iPad.It’s a green and white chat bubble icon with a white phone receiver inside. If you’re messaging on WhatsApp, read receipts are automatically enabled. This means you can see if someone read your message by default.
Create or reply to an existing message.
Tap the Send button.It’s the round blue icon with a white paper airplane inside.
Look at the check marks at the bottom-right corner of the sent message.
- When you send the message and it hasn’t been delivered, you’ll see a single gray check mark. This means the person you’re writing hasn’t opened WhatsApp since you sent the message.
- If the person has opened WhatsApp since you sent the message but hasn’t yet opened your message, you’ll see two gray check marks.
- When the person reads your message, the two check marks will turn blue.
Using Facebook Messenger
Open Facebook Messenger on your iPhone or iPad.It’s the blue and white chat bubble icon with a sideways lightning bolt inside. You’ll usually find it on the home screen. Messenger is set up to automatically show you when someone has read your message.
Tap the person you want to message.This opens a conversation with that person.
Type your message and tap the Send button.It’s the blue paper airplane icon at the bottom-right corner of the message.
Check the message status.
- A blue check mark in a white circle means you’ve sent the message, but the person has not yet opened Messenger.
- A white check mark in a blue circle means the person has opened Messenger since you’ve sent the message, but they haven’t read it.
- When the person’s profile picture appears in a tiny circle below the message, you’ll know the message has been read.
QuestionDoes the other person have to turn on the "send read receipts" function?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerYes. If you want to see if someone has read your text, they have to have the setting turned on.Thanks!
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
Video: How to see if someone has read your text message on iphone
5 Fertility Symptoms You Should Never Ignore
Emma Watson Has Short Hair(Again)
28 Trendy Wedding Hairstyles for Chic Brides
The Ultimate Gluten-Free Fridge
How to Care for a Beard
How to Take Photos of Adoptable Cats
How to Curl Your Hair With Paper Bags
3 Luxe Utility Vehicles Worth Every Penny
10 Ways to Get Better Results in Half the Time
8 Fresh Rustic Wedding Decor Ideas
Sweet and Salty Chocolate Covered Pretzels
Date: 05.12.2018, 01:12 / Views: 54395