How to Troubleshoot Exterior Paint Problems
Assess whether peeling paint is caused by too many layers of old paint.Other possibilities are a poorly prepared surface or too much moisture. To fix peeling paint:
- Remove peeling paint by power washing, sanding or calling in a professional to use a torch.
- Repair any problem areas in the wood with vinyl spackling compound.
- Sand the exterior, particularly the speckled areas.
- Paint the patches with an oil-based sealer.
- Resume house painting with a quality paint.
Look for bubbling, which is caused by trapped water vapors.
- Make certain the exterior of the house and the area underneath the siding is dry before painting.
- Avoid painting in extreme heat, which is another cause of bubbling known as blistering.
- Blistering pops up when paint is too thin or the surface hasn't been prepped properly.
Remove powdery areas known as chalking from the exterior of a house by washing the area with powdered laundry detergent and water or trisodium phosphate (TSP).
- Chalking occurs when the layers of paint are too thin or from ineffective priming.
- Prime the surface before repainting with quality paint.
- Applying a surface bonder with primer can help coats of paint bond with the surface.
Know that rusty nail heads in the siding leads to rusty spots in your exterior paint.This also comes from excess moisture.
- Replace rusty nails with rust resistant fasteners, such as ceramic coated construction screws or hot-dipped galvanized nails.
- When it's not possible to remove nails, sand the nail heads and apply a rust converter to them.
- Treat rust stains with a shellac-based primer-sealer that doesn't allow bleed through. Paint finishing coats over the sealer.
Avoid the exterior paint problems of cracking and chipped surfaces with better preparation, such as sanding, filling and priming exterior surfaces.
- Use a quality acrylic latex exterior paint to avoid cracking from changes in temperature.
Troubleshoot paint problems of gray, black or brown spots by removing the mildew that causes it.
- Remove mildew with a diluted bleach solution made of 1 part bleach to 3 parts water. Let it sit for several minutes before wiping it away.
- Prepare and prime mildew-free surfaces.
- Use a quality latex acrylic for house painting, because it resists mildew more than other types of paint.
Study crusty, salty deposits, also known as efflorescence or mottling, to discover the source of excessive moisture.
- Remove the crusty areas with a stiff brush or power washer.
- Apply a masonry sealer after the exterior dries completely and before you apply the finishing coats.
Fix buckling of painted vinyl siding by using a shade no darker than the original.Darker colors absorb the heat, causing the siding to expand.
- Paint with acrylic latex in a lighter color.
Take care of fading color by using better quality paint, particularly if the fading is worse with western and southern sun exposure.
- Lapping marks in color can be avoided by painting smaller areas at a time and in cooler weather with limited wind.
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Perform routine maintenance on the exterior of your house to make paint last longer. Clean, lightly scrape and sand by hand to improve the finish.
- Be particularly careful when you troubleshoot paint problems on older buildings. The wood may be more sensitive and prone to scarring from sanders or sandblasting.
- Follow the warnings on paint removal. Not doing so can lead to toxicity poisoning from the products or accidentally setting a house on fire with the use of torches.
Video: Exterior Painting Problems - Fading, Blistering And Cracking
Danai Gurira Surprised Lupita Nyong’o With a Birthday Cake in the Middle of an Awards Show
How to Delete Bookmarks
How Much Is Your Talent Worth
Low Sperm Count Is a Major Issue—Heres What You Can Do About It
Met deze gouden proseccodonut ga je gegarandeerd knallend het jaar uit
10 Ways to Wear Jeans Like Vogues Sarah Harris
How to Plan a Ski Trip to Whistler, Canada
How to Have Bohemian Style
Leek and Potato Gratin
How to Make Cake Balls
8 Different Way To Decorate Lighting With Natural Looks
10 Ways to Feng Shui Your Home
Dont Make These Hairstyle Mistakes
10 Best Prom Outfit Ideas for Teen Girls This Year
French Girls Wont Touch These Current Trends
Date: 04.12.2018, 20:12 / Views: 62551