Servings: 12 | Serving Size: 1 Slice | Calories: 144 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 19 mg | Sodium: 251 mg | Carbohydrates: 24 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 4 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 2 cups Corn Meal, (I used Hodgson Mill yellow cornmeal) yellow or white corn meal will work
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt (more or less to taste)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon honey (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Add canola oil to a 8" cast iron skillet or square baking pan. Ensure oil is rubbed on sides as well as bottom of skillet. While preparing cornbread, place skillet with oil in the oven for 5 - 7 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium size mixing bowl. In a small bowl whisk together honey, buttermilk and egg, add to dry ingredients and stir just to combine.
- Note: If using cornbread for stuffing, allow to cool completely before making into bread crumbs. This recipe makes 6-7 cups of cornbread crumbs.
- Remove skillet from oven and pour hot oil in cornbread mixture, stir. Sprinkle the bottom of the skillet with 1 teaspoon of cornmeal.
Video: CRISPY SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK CORNBREAD from an IRON SKILLET - CAST IRON SKILLET CORNBREAD RECIPE
Style Inspiration: All-American
Kris Jenner Responds to Rumors That Tyga Is Secretly the Father of Kylies Baby
How to Choose Foods to Keep You Hydrated
How to Recycle Aluminum
How to Start and Conclude a GCSE English Essay Effectively
Black Bean and Sweet Potato Chili
Nope, Youre Not The Only One Who Gets Holes In Her Leggings
How Natalie Portman became Jackie Kennedy in Oscar-nominated Jackie
How to Get Your Baby or Child Back
8 Different Way To Decorate Lighting With Natural Looks
How to Make Money During a Recession
10 Healthy Lunch Hacks That Save Time in the Kitchen
How to Prepare for a Hurricane When You’re Living With IBD